Thursday 18 November 2010

Who is leading young woman fashion @ Japan

              Upon arriving in Japan, you will be received with myriad fashions and soon enough, you will find out more about the distinctive Japanese fashion style. Anywhere you go in Japan, you will find some amazing street fashion, especially in places such as Shinjuku, Ginza, Shibuya 109, and Hirajuku. 

Shibuya 109

              In Hirajuku, you will often see Gothic Lolita fashion girls, doll-like young women wearing Victorian-style clothes. There are also Sweet Lolita clothing stores in Harajuku. As implied by the name, these stores have very sweet looking dresses with lots of lace and ribbons. Sometimes young women will also carry a cute looking umbrella while walking.
 Hirajuku, with my friends from China-- Chun Yu 

              There are two Shibuya 109 department stores. Shibuya 109 I is an eight-story building filled with young women’s clothes. It is a place where most Japanese women dream to shop. The whole building is full of very sweet-looking fashion, with brands like Liz Lisa, Spiral Girl, Rienda, and Honey Bunch, all of which have a very similar style. The young women who work at these stores always put on heavy black eyeliner and long false eyelashes, as well as blush for pink cheeks and lip color for pink lips. They have yellow curly hair and are all very skinny-looking. They are the ones leading and defining most of the Japanese young women’s fashion. Shibuya 109 II is all for men. I did not check the men’s clothing stores, but I assume they must be very popular among young men as well.

Young girlsworks for Liz Lisa clothing store

      There are some very unique things you could discover about Japanese fashion; I only explored a small part of it. Personally, I really like Japanese brands like Liz Lisa, but it is also very expensive. It is very popular among teenage women and almost every mall I go to, I see a Liz Lisa store.

4 comments:

  1. Fashion is a great topic for visual anthropology. However I feel like you are giving too much information for a single post here. And I am not sure if your photos really match with the text you provide. Remember, these posts should be more focused and provide specific case studies rather than broad overviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your advice, I will edit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prof. Steven,

    I edit it already, please take a look at it again, and let me know if I need to do more editing.

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - I think these photos work much better.

    ReplyDelete