Tuesday 7 December 2010

Time to say Good-Bye to Nihon:

Flower Expo Memorial Park Tsurumi Ryokuchi 1990, Osaka 

           Time is going so fast; without realizing, it has already been more than three months since I left New York for Japan. The weather is starting to get a little chilly, so no more complaints about the heat. Yet I have realized most of young women here are still wearing shorts, myself included. I love the Japan: The autumn, full with beautiful red and yellow colors; how every temple and shrine is full of tradition and feeling; how Japanese servers always respect their customers so much; that Osaka Obaacan always give out candy when you ask for directions. I love that both modernization and tradition coexist in places like Kyoto, Nara and etc. I love…

Flower Expo Memorial Park Tsurumi Ryokuchi 1990, Osaka 
             One thing I discovered through a semester here is the Japanese don’t talk much about their deep feelings. They are always so nice and nod their head when you tell them your opinions, but most of them don’t like to talk much about themselves. I always feel this and would like to know more about them. I feel they are hiding something, but foreigners can't know and find out what this is and probably will never have the chance to find out.
Flower Expo Memorial Park Tsurumi Ryokuchi 1990, Osaka               My impressions of Japan have not changed much. I was lucky to have a very nice host family-- they always treated me as part of family. With them I had the opportunity to practice my Japanese, since Kaisai Gaidai places all the international students in one building, making it harder to pratice speaking Japanese with Japanese students. Because of my host family, I was able to learn more about Japanese culture compared to those who lived in Seminar House. I really appreciate everything they have done for me. I still remember my first week here: I was really disappointed from all the heat, the language barrier, and not being familiar with Japanese culture. But now I love it! As my Japanese has improved, it has become easier for me to explore Japan. 
高尾山 in Tokyo
            A semester is definitely not enough time to learn everything about Japanese culture, but I am thankful that I had the opportunity to get to know even a small part of Japanese culture. I really had a great time here! 

高尾山 in Tokyo

Flower Expo Memorial Park Tsurumi Ryokuchi 1990, Osaka 

Flower Expo Memorial Park Tsurumi Ryokuchi 1990, Osaka 

1 comment:

  1. Are the pictures of Tsurumi Ryokuchi yours? I used to live near that park and went there almost every day - it is a very special place.

    Thank you for your efforts this semester. You had some great experiences and photos that you shared on this blog.

    ReplyDelete