Wednesday 15 September 2010

Early Impressions of Japan

Exploring Kyoto

           I was so excited  I finally arrived at Kyoto, I thought: "wow, Japan is so pretty". Even though it was an extremely hot afternoon. People just ignored the heat and enjoyed the beauty of Kyoto by the riverside. Everywhere I went, it was so clean with different types of recycling bins in every train station. As a New Yorker, I was surprised by the recycling bins and the lack on gum specks on the floor, never seen a place this environmentally conscious. Althought Japanese were forced to recycle their trash. I was walking under extremely hot heat to the Kiyomizu Temple, but luckily there were vending machine almost everywhere in Japan.

For more information about recycling trash, please check:

\
Kiyomizu Temple

           On my way going back to Osaka, I was lucky enough to see a Japanese sunset. To see such a beautiful sunset before I headed back to the Seminar House made me feel that all the sweat throughout the day was worth it now. I drank some spring water before leaving Kiyomizu Temple, it made me feel refreshed. It is very common to make a wish when you go to a temple and so I threw in a coin, made a wish and rang the bell. Unfortunately I arrived at the temple when they were closed, so I was unable to get any amulets for my family, friends and teachers back in America, but I was satisfied with my wish. The day at Kyoto opened me up to a glimpse of Japanese culture and I cannot wait to share all the cultural things I am learning in Japan with family, friends and teachers back home.

On My way to Kiyomizu Temple

1 comment:

  1. You are starting out wonderfully - your photos are gorgeous. And the title of your blog seems especially appropriate for you. I am glad you are having such happy experiences in Japan, and recording them here. I look forward to your future posts. And don't worry, you will have plenty of opportunities to get everyone omiyage.

    I am always a bit surprised when students comment about recycling and relate it to Japan being so environmentally conscious. Recycling is relatively recent in Japan and I think they were forced into it more than actually wanting to do it. But still it is a positive thing now. Check out this post if you are interested:

    http://visualanthropologyofjapan.blogspot.com/2008/03/cute-trash-not-enough-tots-for-toys.html

    ReplyDelete