Tuesday 28 September 2010

Neighborhood Jyoodooku Sekime


Little garden in front of my neighbor's house      


              I live in Jyoodooku Semiki, about one and half hours away from Kaisai Gaidai. My home is very close to Osaka city. The modern Osaka along with its traditional houses can be visible from the top of my home. The majority of my neighbors own a small garden in front of their house. I often see PET bottles connected to the plant, the purpose of PET bottles are to protect the plant from the wild animal. On my way to the school, I often see housewives gather in corner of the street and talk about their daily lives. Sometimes they say “Ohayoo gazaimasu” to me, and I would smile and nod my head to show my respect. Passing by allies, I often see the housewives busy hanging up their daily laundry. I remember my visit to my friend’s home and his okaasan had quickly replied “Of course, I’m Japanese, Japanese woman does laundry every day.” When I seemed shocked that she also did laundry every day, because in America most of people do their laundry once a week. Eventually, I realized that my neighbors are hang up their washing in the morning, and take it down after sunset. 



            There is a park near by my home. Although, kids rarely hang out there, my neighbors love to take their dogs in the park; my otoosan walks around with six dogs in this park twice a day.





             In addition to houses and a park, there are a lot of self-owned businesses, which operate in the area; even my host father has an office on the fourth floor of our home. On my way to the school and back home, I always see trucks, and the workers are busy unloading products. I think I must live in a really wealthy neighborhood.




For more information about Pet bottles, please check:




2 comments:

  1. Again, you have some really nice pictures. The colors are wonderful. This is a nice examination of your neighborhood. I like that it is based largely on your interactions with the people there. I would ask that you be cautious with assumptions. The pet bottle observation, for example, has intrigued many students. check out this post on how a student last semester investigated the issue.

    http://soleswornthin.blogspot.com/2010/05/pet-versus-pet.html

    His methodology is a good one to emulate.

    many people also comment about the lack of kids playing in the park. This might be due to the low birth rate while the plethora of dogs might be due to the recent pet boom. Dogs are especially popular and are often viewed as family members.

    Keeping on with your explorations of Japan and with your wonderful picture taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am so surprice that it's actually to protect the flower from pet. I'm glad you like my photos, there are a lot more photos, but I haven't upload it yet.

    ReplyDelete